Book your visit to St. Mark’s Basilica and skip the line at the entrance!
- Skip the line and enter St. Mark’s Basilica through a priority lane with your personalized QR CODE
- Duration: about 30 minutes
St. Mark’s Basilica is one of the iconic symbols of Venice. Originally designed with the function of private chapel for the Doge (the highest office in the Serenissima Republic of Venice), the Basilica acquired over the centuries an increasingly central role in the religious and political life of the city.
The church was erected to guard St. Mark evangelist’s relics, which, according to legend, were stolen in Alexandria, Egypt, by two Venetian merchants with a very clever stratagem: history tells that the two men hid the body of the saint in a basket and covered it with pork (considered impure by the Saracens) thus avoiding a more deep inspection of the basket. From the moment of the arrival of his body, St. Mark became the patron saint of the city and the winged lion the symbol of Venice.
St. Mark’s Basilica, also known as “the golden Church” for the predominance of golden mosaics, is unique in the world in the artistic and architectural panorama for its particular conformation with a strong Byzantine and Romanesque characterization, for the priceless treasures kept inside and for the refinement of the mosaics that decorate the vaults.
- The ticket includes a skip the line entrance to St Mark's Basilica
- Visitors are recommended to wear appropriated clothes for a place of worship.
- It is forbidden to enter the Basilica with luggages, bagpacks or voluminous bags. It is possible to store your luggage in the lockers at San Basso Office, in Piazzetta dei Leonici (on the leftside of the Basilica). The service has a cost.
By purchasing a priority entrance, you can access the Basilica directly through the door of San Pietro (the second door from the left) by scanning the QR Code on the ticket.